Saturday, September 15, 2007

Birthday and Every Day



It's been a long time since last post...I blame back to school and finger healing! Okay, maybe sheer laziness. It's Saturday morning and Jack is in the shower, little mama is still sleeping and we are scheduled to go to IHOP and the dentist's office to pick up a root canal referal for Ms. K. Ah my exciting life. My birthday party last week was beautiful. Table full of friends I love and really missed. And the best presents! Went to a place called Supper in the East Village and aside from Frank sitting on my mangled finger and sending me through the roof, it was a fantastic re-entry into the social stratosphere. Gin and tonics, pasta pesto, birthday cake, discussions about Big Foot and Chupacabras, and gifts like gourmet coffee, an anniversary edition of Howl and a diamond necklace. 47 is not the depressing birthday I imagined. I have fallen too deeply in love with silence and my couch when I am kid-free. Stefanie, Stephanie, Miriam, Frank, Weezer Jr., Troy, Strawhead and Russ, I adore you all. On the subway platform on the way home, a guy singing and playing the guitar did "Jackie Blue", making my birthday ending perfect. My life is full of artists, poets and musicians and they remind me there is more to my existence than the every day Binder rat race. The Infant of Prague waves his giant scepter over you all! Kudos to Jr. for putting the whole thing together.

Strings

We pop into life the way
Particles pop in and out
Of the continuum.
We are a seething mass
Of probability.
And probably I love you.
The evil of larva
And the evil of stars
Is a formula for the future.
Some bodies can
Thrust their arms into
a flame and be instantly
cured of this world,
while others sicken.
Why think, little brother
Like the moon, spit out like
A broken tooth.
"Oh," groans the world.
The outer planets,
The fizzing sun, here we come
With our luggage.
Look at the clever things
We have made out of
A few building blocks—
O, fabulous continuum.

Ruth Stone

2 Comments:

Blogger Bello (Buddy) Manjaro said...

mmm pasta pesto. happy birthday MJ. i am glad you were born.

12:30 PM  
Blogger MJ said...

Thank you Fourth Person, I'm glad you're in the universe too.

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home