Sunday, August 26, 2007

God Talk


Mother Theresa stopped feeling god's presence in 1959. Yet she continued on as a conduit of god's work even while she doubted his existence. Well, that's how she saw it. Doing good things for other people should secure your place in heaven whether you believe in God or not I have always believed. I guess to do the kind of work Mother Theresa did without assurance that God existed must have been incredibly difficult. Read some excerpts of her personal letters and wonder at a few things. In an exchange with Jesus, she says Jesus calls her a weak sinner and her recounting of what else he said makes Jesus sound a)incredibly manipulative and b) a guilt monger. That kind of god I don't want to believe in. Also, why did Mother Theresa expect to be perenially in God's grace? Maybe after actually conversing with God you can't bear not having more contact, kind of like a drug addict. I think though that any contact with god, or experiencing god's presence, is a gift. Why expect it to go on indefinately? I felt god once, as a child, and that's why I believe in her/him. I don't feel any less loved because he/she hasn't shown himself/herself again. Maybe if I lived the way Sister Theresa did I would expect to be in God's grace from time to time. After all, I don't spend anytime striving toward god's presence, which perhaps will mark me as a "weak sinner" in the afterlife.

I don't know what is up with all the Jesus talk in this blog lately. You'd think I went to church or believed there was a Jesus. I don't do either. I just know that there is something beyond this place, that is overwhelming love and acceptance, because I caught a glimpse of it when I was 10 years old. May Mother Theresa be hanging out poolside with Jesus even as we speak!

God Gave A Loaf To Every Bird

God gave a loaf to every bird,
But just a crumb to me;
I dare not eat it, though I starve,--
My poignant luxury
To own it, touch it, prove the feat
That made the pellet mine,--
Too happy in my sparrow chance
For ampler coveting.

It might be famine all around,
I could not miss an ear,
Such plenty smiles upon my board,
My garner shows so fair.
I wonder how the rich may feel,--
An Indiaman--an Earl?
I deem that I with but a crumb
Am sovereign of them all.

Emily Dickinson

8 Comments:

Blogger Bello (Buddy) Manjaro said...

I saw G*d once. he told me to go home.

1:06 AM  
Blogger Bello (Buddy) Manjaro said...

but seriously, i am often reminded that G*d is the only relationship I can and should rely upon. it guarantees nothing except, thankfully, a slip of peace now and again. Quite rightly, it is the first thing I should reach for in the morning, before the cup of coffee or the antidepressant or the snooze button and it is the last thing I should consider at night, before the restless sleep and or unnerving dream or even the sweet occasional obliteration of deep and blissful slumber. it guarantees nothing, this obligatory relationship with G*d except a moment of respite and glimmer of clarity and a reminder to take a deep breath. I don't understand why people ask "if there is a loving god how can such atrocities exist?" i have never blamed or or felt abandoned by G*d. If i feel distant from G*d then it is I who moved away.

1:51 AM  
Blogger MJ said...

Yes. God is hope to me. A goodness I want to be a part of. When I do something useful in the world I feel a fusion with that goodness. When music, poetry or art moves me, I think that the artist has shared a part of god they have connected with. I think that death is a returning to a constant connection to god instead of the occasional connection we get here. So ends this morning's sermon from the church of MJ! 20 mins to Buffy. Have a beautiful day Fourth Person!

6:43 AM  
Blogger MJ said...

One more thing...I don't believe God has anything to do with atrocities. That's man's doing...we make our own decisions regarding helping or hurting the world, or doing nothing at all. I don't think god controls our world. I do think he/she is there though for help or comfort when we ask for it.

6:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After I attended a Mennonite church service and was walking in the woods I heard Jesus in my head say, "Hello Stranger". That scared the hell out of me, how come Jesus didn't know who I was??? Don't they have a birth registry up there!!!

8:06 AM  
Blogger Bello (Buddy) Manjaro said...

oh and ps. that double shot of starbucks espresso added to my morning protein smoothie is really working for me...

4:36 PM  
Blogger MJ said...

Excellent re: espresso smoothie! Jr.: Jesus was just saying "hey, long time no connect Weezy!"

10:14 PM  
Blogger Bello (Buddy) Manjaro said...

yes. after only three days I am pretty well hooked on the double espresso.

3:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home