Saturday, April 26, 2008

Testing, Testing, Check Check Check


The boy has a poetry project due on Monday. A big one. That I only found out about last night because my friend Alison's daughter has the same teacher. Will be spending all weekend helping boy with this and I am...DELIGHTED! Have gathered tower of poetry books to look through. Jack has to find 20 different poems, picking from a list of themes such as "Poem by a Person from England" "Poem after
1960" "Narrative Poem" etc etc. While looking for books to go through I found my Frank O'Hara anthology, my copy of Sylvia Plath's Ariel, and Second Hand Coat by Ruth Stone. I also found a gorgeous hard covered biography of Edith Wharton (Thanks again LC!.) A lot of my books got packed away after last move and never got unpacked cause of lack of space. Jack said to me last night, "I want to do one of your poems." Wow. Now if only I could find one acceptable for a classroom full of 12 year olds.

Am going to try to go computer shopping today. The tax checks have been cashed and this computer was bought for me by my mother who has been gone lo these seven years. A computer with sound that doesn't move slower than molasses in winter time. The mind boggles! My Live365 presets, including the Sirens Songs channel with Joni Mitchell, Shawn Colvin, Dar Williams, Indigo Girls, etc etc! And Art Bell paranormal radio. And no more kids yelling "Mom, IT FROZE" and "Why is it taking so long?" Any suggestions on what kind of computer to get? That is modestly priced of course.

The kids are still asleep because they got up again after I passed out. I woke up at 1:00 and they were in here watching Jack Ass. Unbelievable. Sent them back to bed and the one good thing is that it's after nine and still silent. I am going to read Ariel. Have a lovely Saturday all.

Morning Song

Love set you going like a fat gold watch.
The midwife slapped your footsoles, and your bald cry
Took its place among the elements.

Our voices echo, magnifying your arrival. New statue.
In a drafty museum, your nakedness
Shadows our safety. We stand round blankly as walls.

I'm no more your mother
Than the cloud that distills a mirror to reflect its own slow
Effacement at the wind's hand.

All night your moth-breath
Flickers among the flat pink roses. I wake to listen:
A far sea moves in my ear.

One cry, and I stumble from bed, cow-heavy and floral
In my Victorian nightgown.
Your mouth opens clean as a cat's. The window square

Whitens and swallows its dull stars. And now you try
Your handful of notes;
The clear vowels rise like balloons.

Sylvia Plath

7 Comments:

Blogger Le Compositeur said...

MJ, Good morning. So glad you and the lad are working on a poetry thing together. Sometimes fate, she smiles on us all.

You know I'm going to recommend a Mac (the Mac Mini), however, I'll take a look at PCs as well and get back to you if you want.

Virtual coffee's on me today.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Bello (Buddy) Manjaro said...

YAY. yeah i would recommend MAC too. ok it's just ME and MY experience but I made the mistake of purchasing a DELL and it was the biggest mistake. I should have listened to my gut when i was ordering the computer over the phone and the lady asked me if i wanted speakers for the computer. I said "speakers aren't built in?" no, she said. I don't know much about other non-MACS but the dell had so many things you had to plug in and wires and so much crap with fixes and updates and OY, just shoot me! Macs are clean, well designed and user friendly for my type of brain.

YAY for a new computer! Yay for helping the boy with your passionate subject!

I have had two cups of STRONG coffee and i am dancing on the inside.

4:07 PM  
Blogger MJ said...

Oh Lord, went to three differewnt stores, hyperventilated in parking lot of Staples...not use to spending so much money at once. Weird how freaked this is making me!

5:44 PM  
Blogger Le Compositeur said...

MJ, How's the comp hunt going? I recommended a Mac Mini as I thought it might save you a bit and you can utilize your exiting monitor and speakers, however, it dawned on me I don't recall what you've got at home so let me know how it's going and what you want included if your still searching.

FP, cool assessment and I couldn't have said it better regarding Macs.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Bello (Buddy) Manjaro said...

Le C: oh, there is so much more i could say about being in Dell Hell. In a fit of frustration i tossed the entire thing in the dumpster after I paid it off. horrible products.

7:48 PM  
Blogger MJ said...

Well boys, I have heard that Macs are for artists and PC's for writers. My sister's mac confuses me, with my purely PC history. My kids are saying no to mac, but Jesus, maybe mac is better. Hmmmm. Going to go look at macs online. I have had a dell for seven years and the major problem with it is the Dell support staff; they suck. Thank you for your input LC and FP.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Le Compositeur said...

MJ, As a composer I couldn't get my work done without my Mac but you, being a writer, may have different needs. Primarily Macs are intuitive and unobtrusive (technically) and I have never had occasion to even contact Mac Support (knock wood). I'm guessing the kids protest comes from there being about a billion more games formatted for PCs. Understandable.

Let me know if you have any questions or if I can help.

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home