Wednesday, October 03, 2007

My Kind of Pie



Mincemeat pie, mincemeat pie, I love mincemeat pie and it is mincemeat pie season again! I just had a slice and happy Fall to all! I had mincemeat pie in England and it was superb but Stop and Shop brand is good too. Leaves are starting to turn here and even though it was 80 degrees today, it is still Fall. It's the best time of the year!

Nine Little Goblins

THEY all climbed up on a high board-fence---
Nine little Goblins, with green-glass eyes---
Nine little Goblins that had no sense,
And couldn't tell coppers from cold mince pies;
And they all climbed up on the fence, and sat---
And I asked them what they were staring at.

And the first one said, as he scratched his head
With a queer little arm that reached out of his ear
And rasped its claws in his hair so red---
"This is what this little arm is fer!"
And he scratched and stared, and the next one said,
"How on earth do you scratch your head ?"
Nine Little Gobblins

And he laughed like the screech of a rusty hinge---
Laughed and laughed till his face grew black;
And when he clicked, with a final twinge
Of his stifling laughter, he thumped his back
With a fist that grew on the end of his tail
Till the breath came back to his lips so pale.

And the third little Goblin leered round at me---
And there were no lids on his eyes at all---
And he clucked one eye, and he says, says he,
"What is the style of your socks this fall ?"
And he clapped his heels---and I sighed to see
That he had hands where his feet should be.

Then a bald-faced Goblin, gray and grim,
Bowed his head, and I saw him slip
His eyebrows off, as I looked at him,
And paste them over his upper lip;
And then he moaned in remorseful pain---
"Would---Ah, would I'd me brows again!"

And then the whole of the Goblin band
Rocked on the fence-top to and fro,
And clung, in a long row, hand in hand,
Singing the songs that they used to know---
Singing the songs that their grandsires sung
In the goo-goo days of the Goblin-tongue.

And ever they kept their green-glass eyes
Fixed on me with a stony stare---
Till my own grew glazed with a dread surmise,
And my hat whooped up on my lifted hair,
And I felt the heart in my breast snap to
As you've heard the lid of a snuff-box do.

And they sang "You're asleep! There is no board-fence,
And never a Goblin with green-glass eyes!---
"Tis only a vision the mind invents
After a supper of cold mince-pies,---
And you're doomed to dream this way," they said,---
"And you sha'n't wake up till you're clean plum dead!"

James Whitcomb Riley

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy fall Weezer!! I am sitting in front of my computer itching my head and dreaming of mince meat pie! Am I to assume the Thanksgiving festivities will be held at the Velmar's? I think the pie making task should be given to you this year, I have several lovely recipes I can lend you!

5:38 AM  
Blogger MJ said...

I don't make pie, I buy it. Hummel Hummel bakery here I come. And when are you going to delouse? Don't know re Velmar. Why don't you call her? I'll make the Turkey!

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am frozen with fear regarding my head lice. I am thinking I should wear a hat until I get up the courage to buy lice shampoo. I peaked at my scalp and think I saw something! The back of my head is itching like crazy. By the way, I make the turkey at Thanksgiving. It has always been my job and will remain so, unless you all agree to let me make a Christmas goose this year, in that case you can make the turkey.

9:48 PM  
Blogger MJ said...

It will be a cold day in hell when we eat geese for Christmas. And who said the Thanksgiving Turkey was your job for eternity? I WANT to make the turkey!

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, let me explain. When Violet died the one small thing I felt I could contribute to our grieving friends and family was to help make a holiday meal, granted my Thanksgiving turkey was much more spicey than hers ever was, but I tried. Now, I realize that the idea of a Christmas goose is a departure from tradition for you and Velmar, but I swear it would be delicious! Please please please let me make a Christmas goose and I will give up control of the Thanksgiving turkey! If you won't let me make a goose for Christmas I must insist on making the anual Thanksgiving turkey.

7:24 AM  
Blogger MJ said...

Oh unfair game move Jr.! Fine, make the turkey but goose is NOT ALLOWED! If you're gonna play the dead mamma card, think about Vi's reaction to Christmas goose...got that picture of simulated wretching she'd do once seated at table? Good. Now no more discussion of goose.

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home