Sunday, September 30, 2007

Today I Submitted a Poem to The New Yorker


When I write poems I want to be accessible without being stupid, entertaining while still saying something of value. Okay, I want the whole world to get me...and, I admit it, love me. Well, maybe I don't want Dick Cheney or Pat Robertson to love me (is Pat Robertson dead yet?), but everyone else. Is this too much to ask? I want to be the 21st Century Queen of Poetry.

Killer Queen

She keeps a Moet et Chandon
In a pretty cabinet
'Let them eat cake' she says
Just like Marie Antoinette
A built-in remedy
For Khrushchev and Kennedy
At anytime an invitation
You can't decline

Caviar and cigarettes
Well versed in etiquette
Extraordinarily nice

She's a Killer Queen
Got that agility
Dynamite with a laser beam
Guaranteed to blow your mind
Anytime

Recommended at the price
Insatiable an appetite
Wanna try?

To avoid complications
She never kept the same address
In conversation
She spoke just like a baroness
Met a man from China
Went down to Geisha Minah
Then again incidentally
If you're that way inclined

Perfume came naturally from Paris
for cars she couldn't care less
Fastidious and precise

Drop of a hat she's as willing as
Playful as a pussy cat
Then momentarily out of action
Temporarily out of gas
To absolutely drive you wild, wild
She's out to get you

Wanna try?


Queen

5 Comments:

Blogger Bello (Buddy) Manjaro said...

LOL. you are hereby KILLER QUEEN OF ALL THINGS POETICAL!!!!!

do love that song too, great lyrics.

1:22 PM  
Blogger MJ said...

Thank you, Sir Fourth Person!

2:04 PM  
Blogger Bello (Buddy) Manjaro said...

and let us know when you poem appears, ill buy a copy and frame the page!!!!

6:05 PM  
Blogger MJ said...

Keep your fingers crossed! The New Yorker is of course the holy grail of poetry publishing but figured I'd start at the top. I think some of your writing belongs there too...do you submit stuff?

6:14 AM  
Blogger Bello (Buddy) Manjaro said...

i have been published about 12 times in our version of "the village voice" and one in a university rag. i haven't been writing much and not submitting for a few years now.

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home