Monday, June 19, 2006

There's an Air Conditioner on My Thighs

Monday night and just back from a two hour work orientation. And I'm back there again at 7:00 a.m. Jesus, I need another job. If I'm going to be at the place all the time at least I should be making a living wage. BFI (which stands for Big Fat Idiot or Big Fucking Idiot depending on my mood) claims to have sent 400 big ones to the court to be forwarded to me. Then he handed me a sob story about his impending eviction and how he'll have to take a low paying job somewhere. Oh how sad, you'll have to do something to support yourself, and your children by court order. After eight months of doing nothing. I swear to god, the guy is like an infection I contracted 15 years ago and will have to live with for another eight.

On a lighter note, on Sunday when Weezer jr. and I got the air conditioner, we rolled it out to my car on a dolly and then could not get it in the car. Jr. waves down a Home Depot clerk. Guy turns out to be a little slow. Insists air conditioner must be tied to top of my little car. I explain I am not going to drive on the Northern State with an air conditioner tied to the top of my car. He begins to talk about how hot it is, and keeps shaking his head. And repeating himself about the heat. Jr. says, lets take it out of box, then it will fit in car. Guy says, you can't, it will make a mess. I say, "You mean the packaging?!" I know now not to look at Jr. because she will make me laugh. Weezer assures man we will pick up any mess, and he begins to remark on the heat again. I get in car to pull air conditioner while it is being pushed in. The slow Home Depot man slides air conditioner up and then down on top of my legs. I am now pinned to backseat in reclining position. I am trying to remain calm as I call to Jr. to please get heavy electrical appliance off my legs. Jr.'s ability to help is impaired by the fact that she has been overcome by gales of laughter. Thankfully, they managed to unpin me before there was any permanent nerve damage to my thighs. Slightly hysterical edge to laughter as we exited parking lot may have had something to do with heat stroke.

NAMING
for Vanessa, Toshi, Krista, and Tamarin

I call my sisters to dress for the stomp dance
As all the little creatures hum and sing
in the thick grass around the grounds.
Lightning bugs are tiny stars
dancing in the river of dusk.
Our stomachs are full of meat and fry bread
and the talk of aunts and uncles.
Beautiful fire at the center of the dance
and the dusk has been lit.
We lace up our turtle shells so we
can dance into the circle.
And in this spirit world is the grocery
store over the hill, and all the houses,
the river, the sky, and the highway.
We have been here forever
say our mother, our father.
And this is the name we call ourselves
i tell my sisters,
this name that gives our legs the music
to shake the shells--
a name that is unspeakable
by those who disrespect us
--a name with power to thread us through
the dark to dawn
and leads us faithfully to the stars.

Joy Harjo

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soooo sorry about the slow man, this is starting to become a pattern for me. I have to say, although it was at your expense, as well as the poor slow guy, I probably haven't laughed that hard in years! Sorry the air conditioner sucks, I just don't think anything else would have fit in the car! Loved the poem, made me feel better about being a free thinker.
Jr.(Your sister love's you!)

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home