Saturday, June 10, 2006

Bossa Nova Saturday

Cool, gray Saturday morning and I'm listening to bossa nova music and having my first cup of coffee. Kids are with their father and will be back in a few hours at which point we will get ready to go to Brooklyn. My sister has a fun-filled weekend of horror movies and origami planned. As I am a complete spaz, I think the origami part is partially to provide extra entertainment for everyone as I fumble around making crumpled messes instead of elegant birds and butterflies. I will be the Charlie Brown of origami. This music is making me want to bossa nova into the kitchen for more coffee, if I knew how to bossa nova that is. Well, I will do my own approximation and be right back...good thing Kate is not here because she freaks out whenever her brother or I dance around in front of her. She yells that we are embarrassing her. Weird child. Sometimes Jack and I do especially goofy dance moves together just to get her going. Jack tells her he has a constitutional right to dance. She usually slugs him.

Have just been reading about bossa nova music and it is considered poetry set to music in Brazil. Poet Vinicius de Moraes collaborated with Tom Jobim to create some of the excellent stuff I am listening to right now. I'm always learning new things writing this blog. The man who wrote the lyrics to "The Girl From Ipanema" also wrote this:

Of God and Gold

As gold
Breeds
Misery

Misery
Breeds light

That makes
The stones
Glare

For the
Pauper's
Delight.

Light is but
The pauper's
Gold

Stones are
But rocks

That Pave
The way
Where run

God's
Miserable
Flocks

The world
Has many
Rocks

God has
Many flocks.

God's a
Shepard, I
Was told

God is made
Of gold.



Vinicius de Moraes
Rio de Janeiro, 1959

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home