Sunday, February 15, 2009

Hurray for Three Day Weekends


Tomorrow is Monday and I am off! I think tonight when kids get back from BFI's I will take them to see Coraline. Went out Friday AND Saturday night and am exhausted! I am however going out to peruse the poetry section of Barnes and Noble before kids get back, and perhaps buy a new vacuum cleaner, whoo hoo, at Sears. Went out with co-workers on Friday, including the lovely Linder Loo, and ended up salsa dancing in a club called Havanna. Yesterday was my friend Miriam Stanley's book launch party at the Bowery Poetry Club. Made a new poet mommy friend, ate Korean food, and generally had an EXCELLENT time. Sometimes I really love my life! The clip below is amazing...enjoy!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whew, I never heard Sylvia reading her own poetry, amazing. Dehumanizing. Sort of describes life in Binderland, and many other firms, I'm sure, as well as many personal relationships. I am simply blown away, Mary Beth! But she sounds and looks so old. Didn't Sylvia die young, sucide, Mary Lou? Tragic.

I had fun on Friday, it was so nice to see you. But a pax on you for going out salsa dancing when I had to go home to bed. Did G&C go dancing too?How is your own book coming along?

7:21 PM  
Blogger MJ said...

Sylvia Plath was 30, I think, when she died. She stuck her head in an oven. What a stupid loss. G and C did go dancing. It was all lots of fun, and kind of weird. Book is good. It was so good to see you too LL!

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, did you dance with G????? Was C so pissed?

How sad to think that such a talented wonderful woman killed herself. But I guess her sensitivity/depression were what made her such a great writer and role model for the women's movement? Well maybe role model is the wrong term, since she took her own life. But she was sort of a beacon don't you think? The Bell Jar is so upsetting and wonderful...

12:23 PM  
Blogger MJ said...

I did not dance with G! I think Sylvia's perfectly expressed anger is what made her into an icon for women, conveying a universal anger. The Bell Jar is one of my favorite books!

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home