Monday, July 03, 2006

Independence Day

Happy almost 4th of July! There is a Twighlight Zone marathon on, and we've seen some really classic ones...like the aliens who are on earth looking to make human stew, the dolls trying to get out of their bucket, and the little girl who falls through her bedroom wall into the 4th dimension (this one particularly scared me as a kid). Fireworks already going off outside, and in a little while I'll be taking the elevator up to the roof here in Bed Stuy to watch whatever rockets are going off. Really missing my kids now, and have been calling them frequently since getting a poem from Jack that beautifully describes how much he loves and misses me. My poor babies have never been away from home for this long. I think this seperation is making all three of us appreciate each other more.
I am going to read at the poetry party next week and I am really excited! It has been 9 months since I featured anywhere, and maybe six since an open mic. Miriam is like my poetry fairy godmother. And her site is the best! If you haven't been there yet, go right now! roguescholars.com. You can click the link on my link list. Look for some of her work, which is excellent.

ABIGAIL ADAMS TO JOHN ADAMS
MARCH 31, 1776:
"I long to hear that you have declared an independency. And, by the way, in the new code of laws which I suppose it will be necessary for you to make, I desire you would remember the ladies and be more generous and favorable to them than your ancestors.

"Do not put such unlimited power into the hands of the husbands.

"Remember, all men would be tyrants if they could. If particular care and attention is not paid to the ladies, we are determined to foment a rebellion, and will not hold ourselves bound by any laws in which we have no voice or representation.

"That your sex are naturally tyrannical is a truth so thoroughly established as to admit of no dispute; but such of you as wish to be happy willingly give up -- the harsh tide of master for the more tender and endearing one of friend.

"Why, then, not put it out of the power of the vicious and the lawless to use us with cruelty and indignity with impunity?

"Men of sense in all ages abhor those customs which treat us only as the (servants) of your sex; regard us then as being placed by Providence under your protection, and in imitation of the Supreme Being make use of that power only for our happiness."

2 Comments:

Blogger badgerdaddy said...

Hey MJ,
Just a quick note to let you know my blog is no more.
Apparently, half the town is talking about it so I thought it best to just kill the bugger.
Best of luck with this one!

2:17 PM  
Blogger MJ said...

I'll miss reading it. Let me know if you start a new one.

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home