Sunday, January 20, 2008

Sunday Sunday



Sunday morning and my throat is killing me. Hot coffee helping. Hope kiddies stay asleep awhile longer. Feel like I'm swallowing tiny swords.

Went Target shopping yesterday with remarkable results! Got a very cool pair of Isaac Mizrahi shoes for seven dollars, perfect for work, and an Isaac Mizrahi soft red turtleneck for eleven dollars. All hail Isaac Mizrahi, king of inexpensive, slammin clothes for women! Also got sneakers for the boy at the lowly price of six dollars and change. Sneakers he LIKED. Felt like I was shopping at the Salvation Army. Fleetingly wondered if these prices were the result of a very bad national economic downturn, before skipping off to the register. Today I have to look for sneakers for the girl child. May the fairy of low priced footwear still be with me.

I am feeling my way toward doing what I do at work from the comfort of my own home. Sent out emails to a bunch of law firms offering freelance services with a few interested responses. Purchased a memory card to take to work so I can bring all my written decisions home, and have to price fax machines. This could be something wonderful...everyone keep their fingers crossed!

Mr. Jiggers, AKA BFI, has gotten a real job, at a real company, with wages that can be garnished! I figure this will last about 8 months before he is canned, so we'll have abour half a year of steady support checks coming our way. Hurray!

Well the boy is now awake and I must away to put biscuits (Poppin Fresh) in the oven. Today is house cleaning day (the high point of my week). Poems below to make this post something other than banal.

Digression On Number 1, 1948

I am ill today but I am not
too ill. I am not ill at all.
It is a perfect day, warm
for winter, cold for fall.

A fine day for seeing. I see
ceramics, during lunch hour, by
Mir6, and I see the sea by Leger;
light, complicated Metzingers
and a rude awakening by Brauner,
a little table by Picasso, pink.

I am tired today but I am not
too tired. I am not tired at all.
There is the Pollock, white, harm
will not fall, his perfect hand

and the many short voyages. They'll
never fence the silver range.
Stars are out and there is sea
enough beneath the glistening earth
to bear me toward the future
which is not so dark. I see.

Frank O'Hara


A Supermarket in California

What thoughts I have of you tonight, Walt Whitman, for I walked
down the sidestreets under the trees with a headache self-conscious looking
at the full moon.
In my hungry fatigue, and shopping for images, I went into the neon
fruit supermarket, dreaming of your enumerations!
What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at
night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!
--and you, GarcĂ­a Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?

I saw you, Walt Whitman, childless, lonely old grubber, poking
among the meats in the refrigerator and eyeing the grocery boys.
I heard you asking questions of each: Who killed the pork chops?
What price bananas? Are you my Angel?
I wandered in and out of the brilliant stacks of cans following you,
and followed in my imagination by the store detective.
We strode down the open corridors together in our solitary fancy
tasting artichokes, possessing every frozen delicacy, and never passing the
cashier.

Where are we going, Walt Whitman? The doors close in a hour.
Which way does your beard point tonight?
(I touch your book and dream of our odyssey in the supermarket and
feel absurd.)
Will we walk all night through solitary streets? The trees add shade
to shade, lights out in the houses, we'll both be lonely.
Will we stroll dreaming of the lost America of love past blue automo-
biles in driveways, home to our silent cottage?
Ah, dear father, graybeard, lonely old courage-teacher, what America
did you have when Charon quit poling his ferry and you got out on a
smoking bank and stood watching the boat disappear on the black waters of
Lethe?

Alan Ginsberg

9 Comments:

Blogger Bello (Buddy) Manjaro said...

wow love the ginsburg especially. i went to target this weekend too. got a nice jacket and a table.

7:06 PM  
Blogger MJ said...

I wish you lived here, we could go to Target together!

9:45 AM  
Blogger jamiejamiejamie said...

MJ, today is my housecleaning day. (see m'post for details), hooray! Cloverfield is called such because it rolls off the tongue. It's supposed to be an after-the-fact code word used by the military in reference to Central Park. It's really unimportant and irrelevant to the plot and subtext, unless there's a historical reference that escaped me...Just remember to dose yourself and your loved ones with a good amount of Dramamine before sitting down in the theater.

12:38 PM  
Blogger MJ said...

Well, I got through Blair Witch okay, so I should be fine. I hate when movies have stupid names...my house got cleaned yesterday. and I am SO MUCH HAPPIER, although I hated doing it. I have a lousy cold too. I will try not to breath over the divider tomorrow into your cell....

3:39 PM  
Blogger MJ said...

My love of Target just grows stronger every day! Girl child insisted she had to have the same sneakers she had before. Target actually had them on the shelf, in her size with a red sale tag...$3.00!!!! Bought mucho low priced groceries and got out of the store for under 50 bucks...please nobody tell me Target is no different than Walmart and burst my happy retail bubble...

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie,
This is Weezer Jr. or better known as Jr. I read that Clover field was just a code name used while they were developing the movie, but they were planning on naming the film after a particular part of Central Park called Grey something something(can't remember exactly). They were using this code name because when the developers of this film were working on the television show Felicity, the script leaked on the internet for the episode when Felicity cut her hair, ruining the surprise for many fans. The film now known as Cloverfield was also leaked on the internet as being called Cloverfield so they kept it. These damn internet kids are ruining everything, BIG, FAT, SPOILERS they are!!!! I am however very excited about going to see Cloverfield this weekend when I have money again.

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Sr.,
I think God created Target for us poor huddled masses. Target can't be another Walmart, God wouldn't do that to us, would she? I am making beans again for dinner, got up at 5 AM to cook them on the stove for dinner tonight. I feel like Charlie's mother in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, so poor, so cold. At least the Beagle and kitties are well fed. When I have money again on Friday I am going straight to Target to buy Lulou a winter coat. It is too cold out there for my little angel paws!

6:09 AM  
Blogger Bello (Buddy) Manjaro said...

i so need a target shopping buddy. though i am much better i need someone to calm me down enough to buy clothes that fit AND look good. i get so rattled that i end up buying things that arent quite right esp clothes. i have a mucked up concept of my body image. i am no subjective judge and all the size numbers and letter confuse me. i am a complete lobotomite when it comes to that.

1:30 PM  
Blogger MJ said...

FP, I bet you're good at buying stuff for other people.

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home