Sunday, October 01, 2006

Hello October

Happy October! It's the first day of the finest month of the year. It looks like a rainy day which is too bad because I was going to drag the kids to the Greenlawn Historical Society's Pickle Festival. Kid's strangely happy about weather.

Yesterday we went to a used bookstore and Jack got a Steven King novel, Kate a book about mermaids, and me a book of poetry by Sandra Cisneros. My book somehow didn't make it home. This is infuriating and I will have to go back and see if the creepy woman behind the bookstore counter forgot to put it in my bag. A few years ago, that woman refused to put my chapbook on a shelf with other local authors' work because if she "took a book like this, I'd have to take other books like this." She probably reads poetry by Jewel in her spare time.

So, in honor of my missing book, below is a poem by Sandra Cisneros:



His Story
by Sandra Cisneros

I was born under a crooked star.

So says my father.

And this perhaps explains his sorrow.

An only daughter

whom no one came for

and no one chased away.

It is an ancient fate.

A family trait we trace back

to a great aunt no one mentions.

Her sin was beauty.

She lived mistress.

Died solitary.

There is a well

the cousin with the famous

how shall I put it?

profession.

She ran off with the colonel.

And soon after,

the army payroll.

And, of course,

grandmother's mother

who died a death of voodoo.

There are others.

For instance,

my father explains,

in the Mexican papers

a girl with both my names

was arrested for audacious crimes

that began by disobeying fathers.

Also, and here he pauses,

the Cubano who sells him shoes

says he too knew a Sandra Cisneros

who was three times cursed a widow.

You see.

An unlucky fate is mine

to be born woman in a family of men.

Six sons, my father groans,

all home.

And one female,

gone.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bello (Buddy) Manjaro said...

"I Was Born Under a Wandering Star"
--alan jay lerner

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home