Saturday, August 09, 2008

Greetings from Long Island!



Weezer Jr. thinks the Montauk Monster is a Koala bear who fell off a steamer coming from Australia. Maybe if it were the biggest koala bear that ever lived. Or maybe someone sewed a koala's head to a dog body...some prankster Aussie sailor! I think it is a poor, decaying dog. What do you think?

Kids with BFI and I am coloring my hair and doing this. And listening to the Hissing of Summer Lawns. I have a new, super short haircut that the little demon girl next door told me looks "like a boy haircut!" I like it, it makes me feel free, kind of like Jo in Little Women!

I have been working like crazy, freelance stuff on top of Blunder and Blunder on top of mommy work. After I finish my hair I think I am going out to the North Fork, just gonna drive drive drive in my newly fixed up (to the tune of 700 dollars when all was said and done) Tracer. Need to recharge, write something, stare at the Peconic bay. I don't know who I am lately.

JOURNEY

Ah, could I lay me down in this long grass
And close my eyes, and let the quiet wind
Blow over me--I am so tired, so tired
Of passing pleasant places! All my life,
Following Care along the dusty road,
Have I looked back at loveliness and sighed;
Yet at my hand an unrelenting hand
Tugged ever, and I passed. All my life long
Over my shoulder have I looked at peace;
And now I fain would lie in this long grass
And close my eyes.
Yet onward!
Cat birds call
Through the long afternoon, and creeks at dusk
Are guttural. Whip-poor-wills wake and cry,
Drawing the twilight close about their throats.
Only my heart makes answer. Eager vines
Go up the rocks and wait; flushed apple-trees
Pause in their dance and break the ring for me;
Dim, shady wood-roads, redolent of fern
And bayberry, that through sweet bevies thread
Of round-faced roses, pink and petulant,
Look back and beckon ere they disappear.
Only my heart, only my heart responds.
Yet, ah, my path is sweet on either side
All through the dragging day,--sharp underfoot
And hot, and like dead mist the dry dust hangs--
But far, oh, far as passionate eye can reach,
And long, ah, long as rapturous eye can cling,
The world is mine: blue hill, still silver lake,
Broad field, bright flower, and the long white road
A gateless garden, and an open path:
My feet to follow, and my heart to hold.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

8 Comments:

Blogger Bello (Buddy) Manjaro said...

well, it looks like a mastiff from that angle. a blue mastiff.

drive on..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBLGlb-MOGg

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buddy is probably right -- a blue mastiff would certainly account for the large size! Do dead mastiffs turn blue? What color did you do your new short hair cut, Mary Jo?

6:56 PM  
Blogger Bello (Buddy) Manjaro said...

the Blue Mastiff sounds like the name of an English pub.

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay people, I am back on the internet and ready to defend my belief that this is a Koala Bear! I am so sad for this poor creature, I must say, it looks like some bastard set it on fire. Okay, that is a koala face! And we are used to looking at Koala Bears with their fur, maybe Koala's are actually that large, I have never seen one in person! So, my theory is that after falling off of a steamer, the poor Koala swam to safety only to lose it's fur as a result of not being used to sea water. Have the results come back yet from the DNA testing?

3:01 PM  
Blogger MJ said...

Hee hee, salt water makes koala fur fall off! Koalas weigh up to 30 pounds says the Ranger Rick web site so that giant thing is not a koala! Some one please ask Jr. to explain how the deer hit by a car in the movie Cabin Fever was really a kangaroo!

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

O.K. you witch, I am procrastinating and decided to check your blog, nice, really nice. By the way Sr., I NEVER said that the deer was actually a KANGAROO! I said the deer was actually a sheep that had been altered to look like a deer, and guess what??? I learned that a recent Guggenheim Museum show, an Japanese artist had used stuffed dead animals in his installation, and some of them were changed to look other animals because, the animals they were changed to look like were not available!!!!! The deer in Cabin Fever had a wooly snout, much like a sheep, deers do not have wooly fur. That deer was a sheep prop that was altered.

12:38 PM  
Blogger MJ said...

There was no wool on that snout Jr. None.

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buddy, is that picture really you?

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home