Saturday, May 06, 2006

Ghosts II

7:30 on Saturday Morning. Cats woke me up at 5:30 but, as they are still in my good graces since murdering the mouse, I am not complaining. Lots of check cashing, bill paying and other stupid money related things to do today. Right now though just listening to "Joni Mitchell Radio" on Pandora and sipping coffee. Will call Russ later about movies. There are two that look good, "Silent Hill" and "An American Haunting." I actually know the story "An American Haunting" is based on from listening to paranormal radio. Family is cursed and then haunted in the 1800's by some nasty spirit who beats up particularly on one daughter, but seems to be fond of the mother and does stuff like bring her exotic fruit from the Far East. I wondered at the time how something disembodied could cart stuff from one continent to another. I know I wouldn't be eating that fruit. Watched something called "The Ghost Whisperer" on TV last night. Jennifer Love Hewitt in way too much eyeliner, and employing three, max, facial expressions throughout show, but storyline interesting.

In other ghost type news, Weezer Jr. called yesterday to tell me she had been dreaming of our dead grandmother. Grandma Hamil (originally from Bristol, UK) was telling Weezer that she had found a house for the children and I in England. My sister told her that this would not be necessary as I was no longer moving to England. Grandma Hamil repeated that we were going to live in England, and that she was going to live there with us. My sister pointed out to Grandma Hamil that she was dead, but Grandma insisted she wasn't. So now Jr. thinks the kids and I are going to die in a car crash or house fire and live in another dimension with my grandmother. As Weezy erroneously predicted I was pregnant just weeks ago, I think she may be off about my imminent death as well. If Grandma Hamil wants to do something nice for me, perhaps she could scare away the mice in the house I currently live in (more evidence of damn mice in kitchen this a.m.) And weezy, I think all our dead relatives are currently residing with YOU.

The Truth The Dead Know
by Anne Sexton


For my mother, born March 1902, died March 1959
and my father, born February 1900, died June 1959

Gone, I say and walk from church,
refusing the stiff procession to the grave,
letting the dead ride alone in the hearse.
It is June. I am tired of being brave.

We drive to the Cape. I cultivate
myself where the sun gutters from the sky,
where the sea swings in like an iron gate
and we touch. In another country people die.

My darling, the wind falls in like stones
from the whitehearted water and when we touch
we enter touch entirely. No one's alone.
Men kill for this, or for as much.

And what of the dead? They lie without shoes
in their stone boats. They are more like stone
than the sea would be if it stopped. They refuse
to be blessed, throat, eye and knucklebone.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Senior,
I never predicted pregnancy, only worried it was a possibility! As for poor dead Grandma Hamil, she seems to have taken a liking to you and the babies. If she visits me again I will tell her where your current address is. I think she'll like those Magnolia trees out back as much as I do!
jr.

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home